Do you have a difficult time memorizing passages? I can work and work on committing a verse to memory, then go completely blank when it comes time to recall it. But I’ve found a 5 Step Method that helps me.
It’s easier to remember the context of a verse when you boil it down to the foundation. And that’s what happens when you tweet the text. Twitter allows 140 characters, your take on the passage is condensed to fit, and voila! You’ve got a Bible passage that’s planted in your heart and mind because you’ve taken it apart and applied it.
Here are some of my favorites:
And this, from a sermon my Hubby preached:
The 5 Step Method:
- Take the subject and verb, look for the affect they have on the topic. God’s kindness leads us toward repentance. Romans 2:4
- Is there a cause & effect? Highlight that. When I put God first, He takes care of the rest. Matthew 6:33
- Can you bring out a formula? Godliness + contentment = great gain. 1 Timothy 6:6
- Look for lists, characteristics or benefits. Sound judgment & discernment = life, safety, stability, lack of fear & sweet rest. Proverbs 3:21-24
- Is there a command, instruction or promise? Speak up! Proverbs 31:8-9
When a verse speaks to your heart, it becomes a beacon to a great truth the Lord wants to spotlight. Your task in tweeting it, is not to rewrite the verse, but to whet the appetite of your readers so they will want to read it for themselves. Add a link to the verse so it is easily accessible. I like www.biblegateway.com; others use www.bible.com. Have fun with it; it will bring light to your time with God in a refreshing way!
Originally published at sallyswords